Friday, August 05, 2005

Supreme Court Nominees

One of my friends was recently complaining about Democrats, since he seceded from our party, and about how they're always trying to throw wrenches into things. About how they should be letting Bush nominees slide right through like nothing. First I reminded him that, hello, the Republicans aren't exactly the masters of bowing gracefully out, either -- look at how noxious they were behind The Newt during Clinton's time in office. And then I said something like this:

Hey, I've elected four Democratic senators in two states. When it comes to my reproductive rights, legislating against homosexual unions, the morning-after pill becoming legal without a prescription, and stuff like that, you bet your ass I want them to fight! I want them to say, hey, Mr. Bush, you fucking chimp, it's NOT okay for you to roll us back to the times of back alley abortion clinics! It's NOT okay for you to wrap up an anti-gay marraige amendment and stick it in the constitution! It's NOT okay for you to have your crazy doctor friends tell me I can't buy emergency contraception without a prescription!

This brings us to John Roberts. I don't know much about him, even after reading everything Newsweek has had to throw at me about him. They say he's charming, charismatic, driven. He evokes John Edwards a little. He's barely 50. Nobody seems to really have a clue where the man stands. What does this mean to the court? Well, nobody's sure. A lot of SCOTUS justices turn out to be nothing like the presidents who nominated them thought they would. Roberts? I feel like he could go either way. So I don't know whether I want my reps and senators to fight him, because I don't know what he'll do. So this is all very problematic. Very.

I'm torn on this particular issue. I hope whatever happens, Roe isn't overturned. I don't want to live in that country, you know?